The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Luscombe Brimpton gathering.

• Humourous and interesting stories, including reports on any events you may have organised or visited.
Humourous and interesting stories, including reports on any events you may have organised or visited.

Moderator: HTB

#9401  by Nige
 Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:21 pm
Hi all,
We have been invited, along similar lines to Lee on Solent (15th April) to meet up at Brimpton over a weekend this Summer. Not a fly in as such - a gathering, a flock even... :? NOT an Organised event..
Anyway, who would be keen to go? The staff have generously offered a BBQ/Chinese take away. Ferrying us drunken Lads/lasses to the local B n B, and camping with toilet etc is on siite. This could replace the gathering planned at SYWELL this Summer that Mike and myself are planning. A bit different at Brimton? A lovely airfield in a scenic and quiet spot. Check out the place on Google maps etc. Very friendly bunch.
So, we need to let them know if we're interested as this takes them time to set it up. Possibly in July?
To get the ball rolling, I'm certainly keen! :cheers2:

Nige. Ps, any takers for Lee?
 #9408  by Nige
 Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:34 pm
You beat me to the link Steve!
Yep, he and the link says it all.
A good response so far. I know need to know dates that guys/girls are NOT available in July and August. Thanks. By email or here, on this thread..

Nige.
 #9410  by Keith Old
 Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:01 pm
As long is date is ok , definitely count me in
I will programme my GPS for the route White Waltham to Brimpton
Actually 'SA goes there so often U just sit back and she knows her own way...
Keith
GBSSA WW
 #9411  by Phil Laycock
 Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:01 pm
Yes, thumbs up for a fly-in at Brimpton. Its a short walk down to the K+A Canal and a great Pub "The Rowbarge"

Could discuss dates and get a consensus in a couple of weeks at Lee-on Solent ? Should be a posse of Luscombes making their way to L-o-S from East Sussex. :wink:
 #9420  by Nige
 Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 am
I have recently flown down to Brimpton to meet and discuss the forthcoming Luscombe gathering with Chris and Robin (the owner of Brimpton).
I also took advantage of the lovely weather and walked down to the Kenet and Avon canal to visit the Rowbarge pub along with the B n B's in Hampton there. Very lovely indeed! :sunny:
So, this is the general idea: it is suggested we arrive on the Sat of the weekend in question, around lunchtime onwards. Food will be available in the form of a BBQ. The evening food will be in the form of Chinese/curry take always very kindly provided by the members in their cars. They are also happy to drive any of us to our relative overnight locations in the nearby area. Live music is a strong possibility. Beer and wine can be brought on site, supplied by the local supermarket. Camping is no problem either. A simple toilet and wash basin is 'on tap'.
Next morning, a simple breakfast shall be cooked for those camping or even flying in early on Sunday.
It's all similar to Oaksey really..
Chris has also said that a canal barge trip can be arranged and I will provide a number to contact him.
What I need now from you all are dates ASAP in June and July that many of you CANNOT make and I'll pick a date with that in mind - not pleasing all no doubt! Rather than just saying "can't make that day, too busy". A date has yet to be chosen by Mike Fowler regarding the SYWELL fly in also this Summer.

Nige.
 #9422  by Biffo
 Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:11 pm
Cannot make: June 3/4, 10/11, 17/18, July 1/2, 8/9, 15/16, 29/30 ... Duncan (love Brimpton!)
 #9425  by Nige
 Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:02 am
This is just getting more and more difficult... :scratch:

Nige.
 #9430  by Barry
 Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:31 pm
Nige, that sure sounds good to me, would be there in a heartbeat if I could! Having narrow boated (Foxhangers) the K&A between Devizes and Bath with the wife and kids (last time you and I spoke on the phone '09, thanks again for the flight offer then!), and securing up to the dock for the night across from the Barge Inn in Seend, I can honestly say having a flying/Luscombe/pub/camping experience nearby would be the icing on the cake to an English boating holiday. Gonna check in to that! Great Idea!
 #9432  by Nige
 Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 am
Love to see you Barry!
I am just waiting one 2 more guys to tell me their negative dates and will post a daypte very soon indeed. I really need to hear from them... :scratch:

Nige.
 #9433  by AndyClarke
 Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am
As I said at Lee, G-AGMI will be there as at least one of the group should be able to make it on any given weekend. Popped into Brimpton yesterday and the only downside was not being able to have a pint in the lovely canal-side beer garden at the Rowbarge!
 #9438  by Nige
 Wed May 03, 2017 5:36 pm
Dates for the Brimpton invite will be out next week, after the 8th May. :) :cheers2:

Nige.
 #9439  by Nige
 Fri May 12, 2017 7:59 am
Brimpton is on!! :lol:
The magical date is....... Weekend of the 24/25th June! :cheers2:
The date, after a lot feedback from many of you (a real headache settling on this!) seems the best compromise. No doubt it clashes with a few events and for some with other commitments. :scratch:
So, what's on? You are all invited to arrive from Sat lunchtime onwards. It will end by middle afternoon on the Sun. Those who will arrive around that time will find most of us have gone.
Lunchtime snacks etc will be provided by the Brimpton team. Orders will be taken in the afternoon for Chinese/Indian takeaway for the evening meal. Bring your own booze please (fridges in the clubhouse - anyone found drinking mine will be shot on sight..) but the guys will drive any of us out to the near side off licence should you run out. :drink1: music is being planned for the eve.
There are a selection of local B n B's/ hotels in the near area so please book ASAP as they are disappearing fast! The Brimpton team will drop us off and pick us in the morning. Very grateful indeed to them for this. Camping is supported by by 2 toilets and wash basins - rugged but it's only one night. Possibility of sleeping a couple in the clubhouse also.
A fry up from 09.30 Sun morn will be provided :) lunchtime snacks.
This a rare and worthwhile opportunity for us to celebrate with our Luscombe's, in significant numbers in a lovely setting at Brimpton, near Reading, Berkshire, with exclusive use of the airfield. My sincere thanks to Chris, the team and especially the organisers for their generosity.
Please email me on nwbarratt@btinternet.com to confirm you wish to join us in order we can plan logistics re transport and food etc.
Weather will, of course, play an important part in all of this, but forcasts can be pessimistic, glum and downright wrong, so take it with a pinch of salt as we say!! :sign3: :sunny:
See you there and looking forward to it - should be fab! :salut:

Nige.
 #9447  by Nige
 Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:12 am
Great stuff Steve and thanks very much to you and Jan.
Martin Lepid, a keen touring pilot and travel writer for the LAA will also be joining us at Brimpton and has kindly passed on accommodation details he has found close to Reading. Flexi stay Reading, West Aparthotel, £56.00 twin or double, including breakfast.
Thankfully, the weather will much cooler over the weekend looking breezy but certainly flyable.
Look forward to enjoying out time together! :) :cheers2:

Nige.