The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• 8A Lift Struts

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#6903  by David Warren
 Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:06 pm
Hi All
Down at Old Hay we share a hangar with an 8a (rag wing)that has sat in the corner for a few years. I have coaxed its owner into getting the poor thing back in the air (especially as he has said I can borrow it). Around 10 years ago it was fully refurbed so there is not much to do.

The only major problem appears to be the lift struts are quite corroded inside and out so need replacing. Does anybody know of any servicable struts (preferably in the UK) that may be for sale??

Regards to you all - will definitely be making some appearances with GBUKU this year!!

Dave

PS - Nige looking forward to seeing you at Old Hay - Phil has been in a couple of times now with his new steed.
 #6907  by Nige
 Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:08 am
Yes, I'd love to Dave and have a few ideas regarding a bimble or two this Summer which i'll place on the website when leave and speacial dates of rest are confirmed with the company. Planning on at least 4 visits to Alderney this Summer if you and others fancy joining in? We did 4 visits in lovely weather last year and thoroughly enjoyes all of them! :D

Good luck with sourcing those struts, I hope the website can help.

Nige.
 #6918  by Ancient Tablets
 Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:49 pm
Hi Dave
There are some for sale in amongst a job lot on Barnstormers, though a little expensive. They are amongst 3 fuselages (2 T-8Fs and an 8) several wings and other bits. A pair of struts going for about $800 plus shipping (though condition might be a tad hard to ascertain).

($10,000 for the lot or make them an offer --- keep you in spares forever Pete Bush !!.)

link to this ad:-

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_ima ... adbc7e4dfb

If you go to the Barnstormers home page and search for Luscombe , you will find many other Luscombe postings for January alone, including Doug & Donna at Classic Aero -- another possible strut source.

Interesting as well to browse previous ads for all Luscombe postings.

Hope of use

Regds

Ron
 #6953  by David Warren
 Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:01 pm
Hi Ron
Thanks for the link and apologies for being a bit slow replying - work getting in the way of pleasure again!! As you say a bit risky not knowing how good they are and it does not help being across the pond. The 8a struts now seem few and far between so possibly looking to have some fabricated.

Regards
Dave GBUKU
 #8745  by sanwal
 Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:17 pm
Thanks for the link and apologies for being a bit slow replying - work getting in the way of pleasure again!! As you say a bit risky not knowing how good they are and it does not help being across the pond. The 8a struts now seem few and far between so possibly looking to have some fabricated.

Regards
Dave GBUKU :fighting: :mad1: :sunny: :cheers: :sign3: :sign2:
 #8746  by Phil Laycock
 Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:42 pm
Will be good to see -ROTI grace the skies

Got your brakes sorted yet on 'KU yet ?