The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Running on Mogas

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#8245  by howell
 Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:58 pm
All sorted now, mag points cleaned, gap set, condenser checked, re -timed.
Found an exhaust stub loose, removed , fitted new gasket and new nuts that clamp up tight.
Started up all fine and dandy, hope to test fly next week.
Chris G-SAGE.
 #8248  by Nige
 Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:31 am
Well done Chris. :lol:

Fly safe and enjoy a little milder weather this coming week - long may it continue! :shock:

Nige.
 #8260  by howell
 Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:10 pm
Flown today and running like a Continental sewing machine, Brilliant.
Chris G-SAGE.
 #8261  by Phil Laycock
 Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm
Good to hear that you have got it sorted now :lol:

We also flew today........ temp at ground level +6 deg C and a QNH of 1039 meant the performance was impressive :viking:
 #8279  by Nige
 Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:40 pm
I thought a Luscombe was always impressive Phil.. :wink:

They love this weather. Certainly find the air gaps into the cabin by Jove! :shock:

Nige.
 #8285  by howell
 Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:58 pm
The Mogas saga runs on.
Two of our local garages have now introduced 5% Ethanol into their unleaded petrol BP and Texaco which previously had zero Ethanol.
I spent a large part of the morning trying to establish if Unleaded Ethanol free Mogas was available and it appears not West of Bristol.
This is a big pain for us at Bolt Head as our nearest fuel now is 35 minutes flying time away.
I am really unsure how we solve the problem and it appears yet another hurdle to our expensive hobby.
Chris G-SAGE.
 #8287  by Nige
 Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:39 pm
Indeed Chris.

Our hobby doesn't get any easier so far.... :?

Nige.
 #8355  by howell
 Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:28 pm
Sadly there is NO Ethanol Free Mogas available in the South West well anywhere West of Exeter.
So even more sadly back on the expensive Avgas.
Chris G-SAGE.
 #8363  by Vic
 Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:50 pm
BP Ultimate appears to be ethanol free in the Cambridge, East Anglia area.

I'm using the Fuel and water mix in a glass measuring cylinder test, which isn't foolproof apparently but definitely shows up ethanol in Shell unleaded

I also have a box of rubber 'O' rings that when in contact with ethanol fuel swell up within minutes and the above fuel is passing this test too!
 #8364  by howell
 Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 pm
Oh yes the whole country has access to Ethonal free mogas. Its only the South West that is victimised without it. Much like the rubbish broadband, mobile phone, and loss of Plymouth City Airport.
Chris G-SAGE.