The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• LAA - ‘Working with Aluminium’ course 12th Jan

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#12526  by HTB
 Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 pm
I’m heading up to Turweston on the 12th Jan to take part in one of the LAA’s working with Aluminium courses for the day. Will anyone else be on it?

Whilst i’m hopeful I won’t need to use if for GW, although I might get to assist Owen riveting on all of those new skins, it might come in handy for some Landrover, car or motorcycle restoration projects I have underway. I’ll report back on how the day goes if anyone is interested in attending future offerings. I occasionally get to fly a diesel powered RV, so the toolbox won’t be a complete wate of time. The basis of the course is -

The working in aluminium courses have proved immensely popular as so many of the popular kits today use this medium. Gary Smith, John Michie and Norman Haines, all of whom have built examples of Van’s aircraft, will guide you through the construction of a Van’s toolbox. The build process is specifically designed to teach you drilling, de-burring, dimpling and riveting by various methods, and by the end of the day you will have a useful ‘apprentice piece’ to take home with you.

The course syllabus will include: measuring and marking, cutting and drilling, deburring, fluting and straightening, countersinking and dimpling, and, the bit you’ve been waiting for, riveting; in fact, all you need to know to get you started on your aluminium aircraft project. These subjects will be covered by description, demonstration, and practice as you construct a Van’s toolbox kit. We will also discuss workshop practice and safety, the technical rationale behind many common build techniques, such as de-burring and priming, and provide guidance on further tools and techniques required.

Might pop in to LX and finalise GWs Transponder and Transceiver set up.
Harry
 #12528  by HTB
 Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:10 pm
I attended the LAA Aluminium course at Turweston with the LAA. If you haven’t had any experience of riveting, bending (intentionally), deburring or generally working with Aluminium its probably well worth your time.

The morning is spent discussing the various technical aspects of working with Aluminium, and specifically ALCLAD, which of course is what Luscombe’s are made of and then making an RV ‘apprentice piece’ toolbox, using manual and pneumatic riveting techniques. It’s quite an intense day, but would certainly recommend it.

H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.