The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Wooden Prop Torque Setting.

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#9756  by howell
 Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 pm
I have a wooden Chris Lodge prop 72/47 on my Luscombe 8A with an A65 Continental.
Can a wise person tell me the correct torque settings for the prop bolts please.

Chris G-SAGE
 #9757  by howell
 Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:29 pm
I wrote to Doug Combs in the USA and I gather from his reply below he is not very keen on wooden propellers.
Chris G-SAGE

I am really sorry to hear about your use of a wooden propeller. These appliances are a real trade –off in expense VS performance and airplane fun.
While they are about 1/3 of the initial cost for a propeller (compared to metal props), they require a great deal of maintenance in changing weather or humidity conditions (re-torques by your mechanic), special attention to finish, and special handling when not in flight (position horizontally).
More importantly, the airfoil design is (angle of attack rate), is designed to produce maximum performance at take off speed (60), and reduce the thrust performance at higher speeds so as to reduce loads on the prop. (this means the airplane cruise is reduced and minimized.
That said, I have provided the Sensenich service letter that is readily available on the internet. The torque is noted on page 2 table 1, and those must be undertaken as described in paragraphs 4 through 1 in the following column. Please read this closely. A failure to properly torque and keep the prop torqued, can damage the prop hub, the propeller, and the bolts.
Doug Combs,
Aviator and Nice Person