The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Does the oil dipstick hav a gasket

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#9273  by Keith Old
 Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:50 pm
Hi chaps
Question.. should the oil dipstick have a gasket ?
I seem to be getting some oil leaking from under the cap ( yes it is on properly..)
I can't see one listed in my Continental engine book
Keith GBSSA
 #9274  by Florian
 Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:04 pm
Hi Keith,

on my C85 I have no gasket on the dipstick. Up to now nothing is leaking. But I noticed that everything over 4 quarts I put in will be thrown out on the crankcase vent. Maybe that’s blocked with your engine an the pressure releases on the dipstick... Just some uneducated guessing... :scratch:

Florian
 #9275  by Robert Lees
 Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:11 pm
If you have a Continental engine A-40 to 0-300 then yes, there is a flat rubber gaskets to the oil filler tube. P/No T-308-2 (white neoprene) is a good substitute, if you can find them. These might suit fuel tank filler necks too.

Rob

p.s All Lycoming engines have a gasket on the filler neck too!
 #9281  by Keith Old
 Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:06 pm
Yes I can answer my own question now .. there is a rubber gasket in the "lid" of the dipstick .
thanks for repsonses
Keith
 #9285  by Nige
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:05 am
Quite common to have a 'lick' of oil from there if the seating isn't tight Keith. I've given up putting 4 quarts in - just pushed it back to 3.5 and thereafter a slow consumption down to just below 3. I really need to re route my breather tube to reduce this loss.. Crankcase pressure - a pain in the arse on my British Classic bikes!!
Nige.
 #9295  by Keith Old
 Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:04 am
Thanks something to think about .. a new gasket and running the oil level a little lower
Funny enough we did a 50hr check at the weekend and were a little short of oil , hence the level was a bit below our normal dipstick mark , and after a run to Sandown yesterday , the oil " spillage" did seem a little less .
Keith