The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• More aluminium identity

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#9188  by cpdavey2
 Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 pm
Hi Pete, sorry should have given you credit for your 2015 reply as well. Not that I doubted you for a second, it's this alphabet and number soup that the supplier has thrown me that is causing me confusion. Is it important that the material has to be "Alclad"? Can I achieve the same level of corrosion resistance using a modern coating? The supplier is saying that the Alclad option might be hard to find. As you probably guessed, just like when you poked that rust bubble on your mini, and ended up replacing the sills, the minor corrosion turned out to be something a bit more serious.

Thanks

Chris
 #9194  by PeterB
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:01 am
Here are some details and a supplier we use. http://www.amari-aerospace.com/products ... t_185.ashx

They will only see you whole sheets and the price will shock you! If you need small quantities, give one of the regular Luscombe restorers a call. They should be able to sell you small quantities.

A longer explanation here. http://www.engineersedge.com/aluminum_tempers.htm

And yes, it does need to be clad for any kind of decent corrosion resistance.
 #9195  by cpdavey2
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:58 pm
Hi, many thanks for that. I also looked at the LAS site as you suggested. They sell 0.025" sheet material (2024-T3-025) with Alclad coating that seems to fit the bill for the panel. My measuring equipment is ancient, but the thickness of the spar material seems to come out at 0.06 It is a bit difficult to get a good measurement due to old paint and corrosion, but I think that must correspond to the LAS 2024-T3-063, does that sound right?

Not cheap, but not as bad as I expected. I run Scania and Merc trucks, so tend to measure things against spares prices for those.

Thanks again.
 #9196  by PeterB
 Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:04 pm
I'm abroad at the moment so don't have any of my drawings or reference materials, but the thickness you quote sound about right.

Be careful when bending 2024 - you need to use nice soft well rounded bending bars or it will crack.

If the panel has 3D shape (not just a simple bend, I know a man who can make anything for a Luscombe...