The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Oil change

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#9162  by Richard Valler
 Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 pm
Keith, my Champ's drain valve was supplied by LAS Aerospace in April 2013; their invoice states: "S6250 Saf-Air oil drain valve supplied part number 06-00637 £66.59+VAT". The Saf-Air site shows the S6250 as being approved for the A65/75, C75/85/90 and O-200.

http://www.saf-air.com/supplements/supplement_2.pdf

From their website it appears LAS currently have 2 in stock:

http://www.lasaero.com/site/part/detail ... h=06-00637

... @ £87.22+VAT :shock: plus postage !!! Definitely not cheap (is anything in aviation?) but subjectively worth it in the long-term. Mine was acquired when the engine was rebuilt bottom-up, so the cost of the valve was hardly noticed .....

As Florian says, the 6-edge flange is drilled for safety-wire, as a one-off job on installation. I don't use a cable-tie, I can't see how the valve could migrate upwards of it's own accord as it appears to be sprung-loaded downwards - but I can see the logic of the suggestion, belt-and-braces and all that.

Richard
 #9171  by Keith Old
 Wed May 04, 2016 3:49 pm
Appreciate the info guys , I will look further into it...
Keith GBSSA
 #9178  by Florian
 Sat May 21, 2016 9:10 am
Ok,

I have done my oil change last weekend finally. For everyone still using the screw type oil plug I can now really recommend the quick release valve. I ran the engine up to about 110 °F and could drain the oil without getting my hand dirty or even hot.

The only thing I definitely don't recommend is throwing spark plugs to the floor. While inserting the last one after the inspection it slipped out of my hand and burst into pieces. Now I'm waiting for exchange from AircraftSpruce Germany.

Florian
 #9185  by Nige
 Tue May 31, 2016 5:48 am
Well done Florian! That valve sounds a lovely bit of kit. I assume you didn't have oil on your hands as the plug slipped from them?! :wink: I hope you're not using Champion plugs? They're not the same quality as they used to be... :scratch:

Nige.