The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Oil change

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#9140  by Florian
 Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:42 pm
Hey guys,

my self-made oil change is due. Since I assume it is not very much different from old car engines and my mechanic will assist me, I feel good to try it. But there is one thing I don't know. In the picture below is my oil sump screw and it looks like it has a fitting to attach a hose to drain the oil into a container. Other rumours say it is a quick release valve. Can somebody please light me up?

Florian
 #9141  by Nige
 Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:44 am
I believe, Florian, it is indeed a quick less mess and easy way to change the oil.
I think Martin Waters (G-KENM) has one of these and will try to get him to explain. Otherwise I'm sure you'll receive a reply explaining this shortly!

Nige.
 #9145  by Steve Martin
 Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:30 pm
Hi,
Yep it looks like the quick release valve I have on BWOB. You can attach a hose to it to drain oil. Make sure engine is warmed up first.

All the best Steve
 #9146  by Florian
 Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:14 am
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. Do I need some sort of special connector for the hose to unlock the valve or is it some other mechanism? I don't want to try to open it before the other parts for the oil change have arrived because I am a little scared that I won't get it back closed before all the oil is gone.

On the other hand I can't warm fly it this weekend because Obama is visiting a convention nearby and we got a TFR over our airport. And just sitting on the ground with high RPM is probably not the best idea for the engine.

Florian
 #9147  by Steve Martin
 Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:51 am
Hi Florian,

If it is a quick release valve you should be able to push up and twist the lower grip ring on the valve to allow the oil to flow out (a bit like a fuel drain).

Steve
 #9150  by Nige
 Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:07 pm
Just run her up at normal idle speed, around 1200 RPM, for 5 mins statically Florian. You'll be fine..

Nige.
 #9153  by Richard Valler
 Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:47 am
Florian that looks like a SafAir drain valve; that and a spin-on filter conversion on my Champ's C85 were two very good investments that I should have made long ago. I found that the tubing for a BBQ gas bottle/regulator from my local hardware store was a perfect fit, to bridge the gap between valve outlet and oil collection container. Operation is simple, as Steve says: manually push up and twist to lock and drain, twist to unlock, and pull down to seal. Clean, simple and efficient.

http://www.saf-air.com/oilvalves.html

Richard
 #9154  by Nige
 Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:39 pm
There we go, Rchard to the rescue! :) thanks Rich.
Fancy joining us on the 23/24th July? We're not Luscombe snobs! :wink: be good to see you there?

Nige.
 #9155  by Richard Valler
 Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:40 pm
Hi Nige. Thanks for the invite. Much as I'd like to join your Luscombe-birthday celebrations (TIMP is also 70 this year!), that weekend is just not possible for me.

I trust you will all have a great time at Sywell.
ATB
Rich
 #9156  by Florian
 Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 pm
Thanks for the tip Richard. Just yesterday I found out that our local clubs mechanic knows about these ales and already has a tube available. Now I am just waiting for the oil filters I ordered.
 #9160  by Keith Old
 Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:43 pm
Having just done an oil change , it's one thing draining the oil but another ( fiddly ) job securing the nut with locking wire , so this seems a handy piece of kit .
That said , do you need to secure these in any way ?
I note from SAF Air website Adams Aviation are stockists here
Any idea which valve is he one we required
Keih / GBSSA
 #9161  by Florian
 Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:58 pm
The valve has a 6 edge flange like a screw head at the to to be mounted in the oil sump. This is secured with safety wire like a normal screw. The valve mechanism itself seems not to be secured in any particular way. But I got the advice from our local mechanic to put a cable tie around the valve above the slider so that it can't got up and release the oil.