The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Electric starter kit on 8A C65

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#9038  by Bruno Garcia
 Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:21 am
Hello everyone,
I am new at europeanluscombes.org, and own a Luscombe 8A, based in Andernos les Bains, Arcachon bay in France. I baught this aircraft to Mike Pain at White Waltham in 2013, having very good time with F-AYZN, its new registration code in France.
I am wondering about possible easy-to-install solution for an electric starter on this model which have a C65 hp engine.
Is someone having such an experience in installing a kit?
Many thanks for your advices and ideas!
Kind regards,
Bruno
 #9039  by Keith Old
 Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:16 pm
No I don't know about fitting a starter , but I used to fly ZN with Mike , and she flies vey nicely . Might be easier to keep her as she is rather than add the weight of a starter and a battery . There isn't a lot of weight to play with in ZN - even less if you fly with 2 persons
bon chance
Keith
 #9040  by Bruno Garcia
 Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:39 pm
Hello Keith,
Thanks for your answer.
Actually this is one of the reason of my investigation with this topic.
It seems solutions exist without adding so many weight.
ZN flies very well but having an electric start will make easier alone flights...
Thanks for sharing your feeling about ZN!
Kind regards,
Bruno
 #9041  by dmcneil
 Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:38 pm
Hi Bruno and Keith,

There is an STC kit available in the US to add a battery operated starter on the A-65/75. It is called the Hamp Safety Starter and uses a cordless electric drill as the starter motor(!) It looks very strange but is a clever solution to adding a starter to these engines. And it is light... around 15 lbs or so. Here's an advertisement from today for the system from Barnstormers:

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_ ... ters+.html

As I mentioned, it can offend some people's sense of aesthetics but the starter does work, it has full FAA STC approval on the Luscombe, and it is quite lightweight. Something to consider.

Dan
 #9042  by Bruno Garcia
 Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:13 am
Hi Dan,

Many thanks for this solution. Looks a bit strange but will consider this contacting the supplier for details.

Kind regards,
Bruno