• Lean cut?

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#9004  by coulsonrobert
 Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:25 am
Hi All,

I'm a pretty new Luscombe driver.

I've been fortunate enough to have been put on the insurance of an 8E and took it flying this weekend.

We were on our way back from Bolt Head, over Torquay at around 3500', I had the mixture leaned very slightly, 2400rpm and we were flying on the right tank which was about 1/3 full. I switched on the left tank (about 1/2 full) with the intention of flying on both, and after about 20 seconds the engine lost all power (still windmilling). Mixture gets shoved back in, R selector off and a couple of pumps on the throttle and she picked back up again, not missing another beat all the way home.

My thoughts are that the change in fuel intake pressure in combination with a slightly leaned mixture might have caused it to quit? I understand that there is some discussion about using both tanks together; anyone have any thoughts?

Rob
 #9005  by Pete Bush
 Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:53 am
Hi Rob,

What engine does the Luscombe have and do you know which type of carb?

Cheers Pete
 #9018  by finn
 Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:07 am
What carb does it have? The instructions I got with my Luscombe 8F (and mind you, I've just started flying it) are that the Stromberg carb shouldn't be leaned without some care- and preferably with a CHT gauge. THe POH says lean it slightly above 6000 feet, but there is very little gain apparently. I know I save quite a bit of gas and gain about 100 rpm leaning the 0-320 in my Tri-pacer, but that engine doesn't have a Stromberg carb.
Good luck! They're pretty sweet airplanes aren't they- goodness knows it's teaching me to use my feet!
 #9020  by Barry
 Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:13 pm
I've watched fuel push out the lower cap vent one time when the pilot left both fuel valves on during a formation turn. Mine is placarded for single tank only operation. I've also heard the stromburg automatically leans to 5000'. Additionally, if you lack egt/cht probes, I've always heard to only lean in proportion to your checking account balance, as engine repairs and forced landings may be in your future. Seems like wisdom to me.

8F C-90
Barry