The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• good day today

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#8925  by goodlooking
 Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:31 am
Now the cold nights are here followed by crispy cold mornings starting the continental A65 by hand always presents a challenge.
All feedback about winter warmers would be welcome.
 #8927  by Chrism1
 Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:01 pm
Hand starting on your own in the cold can be a real bore. Hence my next aircraft will have to have electric start and a parking break. No real suggestions except a a good squeeze of primer and a little more throttle.... A few at the club suggest leaving the primer unlocked until it's running. Not sure how it helps but it does seem to aid starting. Just remember to close it before T/O
 #8931  by PeterB
 Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:04 pm
Ensure the carb is well maintained and set-up. Get the mags serviced. Check the plugs, leads and compressions. Rectify each and every problem.

The C-65 is a very simple tolerant engine that should start first blade through in any weather if everything working right and can be a pig to start if not well looked after. If it needs 'a bit more throttle' to start or the primer leaving out, the engine is probably trying to tell you something.... Ask the previous owners of BTCH
 #8936  by Rob
 Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:55 am
Fully agree with Peter, check everything. Never have any trouble. When it is really cold preheat helps but not really necessary. I do tend to use the carb heat for the first minute after starting if really cold. When hot I do not prime. Just open the fuel valve and close it again to fill the carburator bowl. (I have Stromberg NA-S3”B” without mixture control). I always pull through the prop 4 times before starting.

Cheers Rob