The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Tyre Pressures

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#8690  by Neil
 Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:03 pm
Hi everyone !

I am going to be doing a 50hr check on G-BTJA soon (L8E O-200 engine) and wondered what tyre pressures are best suited for mainly grass operation. Has a Maule tailwheel.

Many thanks,

Neil
 #8700  by Nige
 Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:32 pm
Hi Neil,
I generally use 16/17 PSI and around 40 in the tailwheel, although if shimmy is/has been a problem, then experimenting with tyre pressure on that that little 'ol tailwheel back there might be worth trying! :shock: I should think anything above 16 up to 20 on mains is safe.. :wink:
Nige.
 #8702  by Phil Laycock
 Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:26 pm
Hi Neil

We use generally 18 PSI on the mains, but between 14 to 20 does not seem to effect handling.....suffice to say that keep them both the same value.
When we used to have a Maule pneumatic tailwheel it was between 32 to 36 PSI, but despite numerous efforts to cure shimmy we swapped over to a solid type Scott tailwheel which is not only much lighter it also instantly cured the annoying shimmy .

rgds

Phil
 #8706  by Steve Martin
 Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:00 am
When we had a Scott 3200 tail wheel we experimented with pressures and ended up using very low pressure with no noticeable creep and no shimmy. Now have a solid Maule tail wheel :lol: 18-24 psi on the mains.
 #8707  by Neil
 Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:22 pm
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

So far only had shimmy just the once on tarmac, when close to max weight - bad enough to stop on taxiway and check tail wheel wasn't flat !

Will go for 18 on the mains and initially 40 on the tail but will lower to mid 30s if handling changes.

Thanks again,

Neil