The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Shoulder Harness/inertia reels

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#8564  by p3stoker
 Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:12 am
Hi there all, hope you are well with fair skies and tailwinds...

Quick question. Has anyone had (or currently have fitted) a shoulder harness restraint system (with or without) inertia reels in an 8E?

I am looking at options right now, and wondering what approved systems are out there. In particular I want to know how they fit to the aircraft (what structure they attach to etc). Photos of the installation would be even better!

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
JJ
:salut:
 #8567  by dmcneil
 Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:31 pm
You might also want to look at the harnesses from BAS, Inc. in Eatonville, WA, USA.

http://basinc-aeromod.com/luscombe/

Many of these have been installed in Luscombes here in the US. They are an excellent company selling an excellent product. Fully TSO and STC for the Luscombe here in the US. They also make a very nifty and easy to install tail pull handle. Lots of these have been installed also.

Dan
 #8568  by p3stoker
 Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm
Thanks Dan.
They have responded to my website request for info within hours, and even sent me a mounting detail drawing.

It looks like they are riveted to the rear carry through spars, which I have some reservations about. I assume there are a few in service though, and the mod comes with its own STC. Would you know what the parameters of the STC are (ie: crash worthiness limits - G limits- forward/up/down)? Given it has an STC I also assume that some testing must have been carried out to meet those parameters?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
JJ
 #8573  by Nige
 Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:58 pm
All great sources. :lol:
Just a thought JJ, certification ( paperwork) can be an absolute nightmare on 'retrofitting' new non standard gear on these old darlings as Mike (UK) will no doubt tell you! :shock: however, the Aussie system may be more forgiving and less time consuming. I believe some owners have accidentally forgotten to remind the Authorities about the fit God forbid.... :wink:

Nige.
 #8579  by dmcneil
 Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:39 pm
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I'm sure that the folks at BAS did extensive load/g testing to get the STC. They would probably be more than happy to share what the standards were for that testing. The BAS harnesses I've seen are very high quality and I've not heard any complaints regarding operation or durability. The original founder of the company, Bud Blanchard, was a Luscombe guy for many years. Bud developed the Luscombe installation.

The mounting on the carry-through spars is not generally a problem. Again, the installation had to meet all FAA structural requirements to gain the STC approval. And that attach point is very stout when it comes to crashworthiness.

Dan