The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Luscombe axel

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#8534  by xqsme
 Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:49 pm
Hello,
Just got a 1946 8a. Been sitting a while. Ferry flight home(175 miles) ok. Landing not so hot. No brakes, no tailwheel steering. Anyway, brakes shot, sent off to have them relined, ordered a new Matco tailwheel(don't want the maule). So, doing the brakes, both axels have a wooden dowel in them that fill the whole axel. Leave them, or chuck them?
thanks,
dennis
 #8536  by Pete Bush
 Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:50 am
Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the site.

Not heard of wood filled axles before, I can’t imagine why either. I would remove them as they could cause a lot of corrosion issues. Do you think they were used at some time to secure the wheel pants??

Cheers
Pete
 #8538  by Nige
 Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:23 pm
Blimey! That's a new one on me! :shock: Welcome also Dennis! :lol: wow! Where did you purchase the 8A by the way?
Nige.
 #8539  by xqsme
 Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:08 pm
Sold my Champ 3 weeks ago. found the 8a the next day @ KCPC(28 miles from Myrtle Beach). Did not even start it, looked @ it and had to have it. Been sitting out on the ramp for 3 years. After the flight to my home base, checked the brakes, had them relined. Installed them, still no brakes. Now I know, the cleveland mechanical brakes have a cam that rotates to spread the shoes apart, it's worn. Gonna try and build the cam up with a mig weld and hope for another 1/8 inch spread on the shoes. Then new Matco t/w, PRACTICE LANDINGS.
dennis
 #8549  by Nige
 Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:18 am
Well good luck Dennis and let us know how you get on? Glad to have you on board! :lol:

Nige.
 #8580  by jonilind
 Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:49 pm
hi good looking your site nice posting thanks for sharing information good color your site i read it i enjoy this blog.

coastal export
shoes