The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Fuel (Mogas) Mandatory AD for Continental Engines .

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#8441  by Steve Martin
 Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 am
As from June 2014 all continental engines using Mogas will have to have a supplement mixed in to guard against ethanol causing damage to the fuel pipes etc. I’m no engineer but according to the FAA who have researched this fully now (FAA AD 67284395550 FAA/L8/A/E/F), the provision of 1 part citrus juice to 5 parts mogas ( ie for every 5 ltrs install 1 litre orange/lemon/grapefruit juice) will negate the harm ethanol can do. Qualified engineers need to undertake the first mixing and sign it off in the engine logbook. So seek out your engineer and ask them to arrange the mixing and get the sign off sorted out before June. The research paper was published this morning by Shell in Holland and undertaken by Prof. Lirpa Van de Loof :scratch: from Amsterdam University. :drink1: :drink1:
Last edited by Steve Martin on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #8445  by Tom
 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:53 am
Oh Steve

How do I get the Sunny Delight out of my tank now?

I feel such a Lemon!!

Should have known you where taking the Pith :lol:
 #8454  by Nige
 Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 am
Bejesus Chris! It works! Paddy n me took the old girl up for a try and we're getting an extra 20 miles an hour in a dive!! Ordered boxes of the squeezy lemon stuff now! Guinness n shot of lemon after landing recommended - er down me throat I might add! :drink1: keep having to climb high then dive, climb, dive, climb,dive. Sends me dizzy it does.... :scratch:
Paddy Nige.