The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Propellor bolts

• Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe
Technical Chat Tips and Advice, including flying the Luscombe

Moderator: HTB

#8242  by Stuart Jones
 Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:28 pm
I foolishly removed my propellor today, does any one know the torque settings to re-fit it ? Thank you
 #8244  by howell
 Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:49 pm
Try Rupert at Hercules Propellers 01453 885853
or Chris Lodge 01245 440317
Chris G-SAGE.
 #8251  by Richard Valler
 Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:15 pm
Having just refitted the prop on my Champ, I came up with the following values from the propeller manufacturers websites for their fixed pitch metal props, where the torque specified is related to bolt size:

---------------------------lbs/ft----------
Bolt size".......Sensenich.....McCauley
3/8..............23-25.........25-30
7/16.............40-45........40-45
1/2..............60-65.........55-65

http://www.mccauley.textron.com/sb227B.pdf
http://www.sensenich.com/files/document ... 679535.pdf

Hope that helps
Rich
 #8252  by Robert Lees
 Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:54 pm
Stuart, there is nothing foolish about removing propellers...as part of an annual check it's a good idea to check for corrosion on the bolts/ prop flange (and the condition of the removable crankshaft hub, if you are so fitted).

For wood props, it's even more important to retorque the prop (at more regular intervals too, due to season/humidity changes, etc).

If you tell us the type, manufacturer etc of the prop, you will likely get "chapter & verse" on the proper prop torque! As an aside, what engine do you have? This has an influence upon whether you &/or your Inspector should be examining the prop hub at suitable intervals.

Regards,
Rob
 #8270  by Stuart Jones
 Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 am
Hi every one thanks for your help, I used 25 - 30 lbs ft but am going to get my inspector to check it as not happy with my lock wire attempt. The reason I took prop of was to have a good look at carb heat shroud and hoses. Since we have had cooler weather I don't seem to get much Rpm drop when applying carb heat and then when I remove carb heat the engine runs rough for a short while before returning to normal. I couldn't see anything wrong so going to get inspector to check that to.
 #8271  by Pete Bush
 Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:39 pm
Hi Stuart,

I personally use the low end of that torque setting for metal props on the small Continental of 25 lbs/ ft

Don’t forget that any prop refit requires the services of your inspector as it requires a mandatory duplicate check.

Rgds
Pete
 #8280  by Nige
 Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:46 pm
I also use a lower torque setting on my 85hp McCauley Stuart. I leave this particular wire locking area (along with the screw on oil filter) to the engineer - although on the duplicate inspection he'd got it (the prop) wrong!! :oops: they are not infallible.

Nige.