The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• 8E cowl grills

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9683  by Flyingapple
 Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 am
Greetings All

With much excitement I have acquired a hangar queen, which has not flown for 15 years.

What this lady does not have are cowling grills.

My questions are:

Is this standard ? (There seems to be no holes or attachment points in the cowling)

Can I fit these grills and best place to find these grills.

The engine is an o200 not sure if that makes a difference.

My appreciation in advance

Brian Appleton
South Africa
 #9684  by Keith Old
 Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:28 am
This is been on a previous post...
Doug Coombs at Classic Aero might be a starting point ( dccombs@luscombesilvaire.info) or ebay or the Luscombe facebook website
Am sure somebody has some in a box of bits somewhere
 #9686  by Steve Martin
 Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:18 am
Hi Brian,
Some of the older Luscombe's (8A's) came out of the factory without grills on the cowling. I bought some from Doug Coombs years ago. They were a fairy rough casting and I spent along time refining them prior to fitting.
 #9687  by agp
 Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 pm
I have some stainless steel grills which came with my project. They are quite heavy but you're welcome to them if you don't find a proper set.

Alan Palmer
AKUH
BTW don't forget that the VAC gam at Wellsbourne will be celebrating planes with an anniversary this year eg 70
 #9688  by Al Coutts
 Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:54 pm
Hi Brian - which airfieleld/airport in RSA are you/the Luscombe based?

Al
 #9689  by Flyingapple
 Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:56 pm
Gentlemen

Thanks for the feedback

Alan thanks for your kind offer, I will see if there are some originals available and will be in touch if need be.

Al I normally fly out of RAND but have a hangar at springs and most of my maintainance is done in springs.

Standing and open offer to all, if anyone is coming to JOHANNESBURG, please make contact with me (before arrival preferably)and it will be my pleasure to take you for a flight.

Regards

Brian
 #9690  by Al Coutts
 Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 pm
Hi Brian - I know both Springs and Rand - Rand rather well as I've spent days/weeks there with Dennis Spence since 1992. A visit to Streckers caused me to buy a Tiger Moth - my love affair lasted about 6 months as the tailskid one I bought in the UK was hard work moving it around on my own.

I've just acquired a broken Luscombe and as northern hemisphere summer and harvest is complete am just about to start some serios work on it.

Tot siens!

Al
 #9691  by Flyingapple
 Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 pm
Hello Al

Small world, we may have met. Not only am I close to Dennis but one of my chippies is resident in his hangar at rand. Know Frank and his late uncle Willie.

Noted on the Tigers, that powered box kite.

Hope the harvest was good, good luck with the restoration.

Mooi bly

Brian
 #9692  by Al Coutts
 Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:09 pm
Gosh - we may have met! What does your surname begin with? These days Den visits me fairly frequently, though I'm considering a trip to PWV soon. I met Dennis whilst working in Moz in the early nineties... aviation is a small world as you say!
 #9695  by cpdavey2
 Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:44 am
And you did a great job Steve, I had no idea 'TE's cowling grills were not an original fitment. The most highly polished part of the aeroplane :)