The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Luscombe 8E Project

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9453  by Al Coutts
 Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:36 pm
I'm a new member and have joined as I've wanted a Luscombe for almost as long as I can remember. I've just acquired a Luscombe project and wondered if there were any Luscombes in E Anglia that I can take a look at?

My project will need a wee bit of work and lots of love and I'd welcome any advice.

Is there a UK based "Mr Luscombe" who knows all about them?

Many thanks,

Al
 #9471  by Rob Dyer
 Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 pm
Hi Al,

There is one guy I can think of - Pete Bush owner of G-BROO.

In the states there is Doug Coombes among others (use careful wording of questions...). He has almost all bits you would need. Univair has many panels and you can also get Univair bits through Aircraft Spruce. You may even be able to get them via LAS Aero as they are Aircraft Spruce dealers. With suppliers, be careful with carriage costs as some just bung it in FedEx without considering cost to you which can add as VAT gets charged on cost of part and carriage. I bought a couple of springs for the brakes, was told they would send as cheap as possible and by the time they got to me they had ended up costing £40!

Luscombes are really simple airframes with no real issues. If yours is a ground looped example, you may need to replace the belly panel and check the Spar carry through. That will require jigging, but that is not too hard to do. Undercarriage parts are Blimin expensive when new. If you try to weld the legs, they need to be heat treated again, if it were possible then you would have to do repair scheme with LAA which would be a pain, so best to replace.

Oh rag wing is far better than metal wing, wood prop is better than metal and beware some Luscombe owners fly naked.

Have fun,

Bob
 #9476  by Nige
 Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:03 am
Hi Al,
And welcome to the site.
You could contact Pete Bush or even Owen Watts via private msg/email within this site. Broken Luscombes are popping up quite frequently awaiting to be repaired. You've just got to phone or email around.
You may be advised to buy one that is finished as these projects can go on for a very long time and become quite costly.
Good luck.

Nige Barratt. Moderator. G-BRUG.
 #9478  by Al Coutts
 Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:18 pm
Thank you both, I've been in touch with Owen thanks to Nige and will look up Pete Bush, too.
 #9674  by Steve Martin
 Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:54 am
Hi Al,

Further to our telephone conversation a couple of weeks ago, firstly sorry we got cut off, I was driving at the time, secondly I think you already have the names of the main UK & USA Luscombe people. I don't know who can help you with splats or moulds to make spats, but someone on this site may be able to point you in the right direction.

Keep an eye on this site as the Luscombe fraternity do put fly ins up occasionally where they meet. Next major one is either "Atomic" at Sywell this coming weekend, or the LAA rally, but there may be others.

Good luck with the restoration.

regards Steve
 #9675  by Al Coutts
 Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:46 pm
Hi Steve - thank you for the chat/your response. I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds.

Al
 #9677  by cpdavey2
 Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:55 am
Hi Al,

Depending where you are in East Anglia, you might want to pop down to RAF Henlow where I keep G-EITE. You are more than welcome to have an in depth look. I can take panels off so you can get a good look inside if that will help you get to grips with the structure. At the moment I have the floor out and the screen at the back of the luggage compartment off, so you can see all the control runs and how they are routed, though I am hoping to have it all back together fairly soon to start air testing. Pete Bush overhauled the C90, and I think the engine installation is as good as you will ever get, well worth a look while I have the cowling off.

Of course, rather than spending years on a project, you could buy Steve Martin's BWOB, which is simply gorgeous :)

Cheers

Chris
 #9681  by Al Coutts
 Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:42 pm
Hi Chris, I'd like to accept that offer. I pass Henlow frequently and have dropped in a few times. I'm raher keen to put this old lady back in the air and as I own another aerplane and am on the insurance for two more, I'll accept the time it takes. And besides - having an aeroplane project in the shed keeps me out of the pub and out from under my wife's feet! :)

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Al