The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Luscombe advice ...

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9392  by neilrankin
 Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:21 pm
Hello
I am new to this forum but seeking some guidance on Luscombe flying – I am a big fan of them !!
I would be a fairly inexperienced tailwheel pilot (less than 10 hours) but plenty of hours on tricyle aircraft
I have heard differing opinions on Luscombes as a first tailwheel aircraft but rather then listen to this I thought I would seek the opinion of the experts

Any thoughts or comments most welcome

Best regards .... Neil
 #9393  by AndyClarke
 Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am
The Luscombe has been the 'first tailwheel' aircraft for a great many people, me included. It's no more difficult or challenging than any other aeroplane, as far as I can see. Like all types, it has its idiosyncrasies. By reading between the lines, I sense that someone has suggested that it might not be suitable? I wonder if this has come from someone who'd actually flown one?!
 #9394  by neilrankin
 Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 am
You may well be right Andy ...
To be honest feedback has come primarily from online forums so unable to verify the accuracy or experience of contributors as I didnt know anybody locally (Limerick Ireland) based that owns a Luscombe although I believe there are a couple in Ireland

That's why I thought I join here

I have spent a great deal of my 2000 odd hours instructing part-time at different levels over the last 10 years or so and while I plan to continue this in between my day job I would also like to get back to some 'real' personal flying

I guess I just need to go do it !!
 #9395  by AndyClarke
 Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:41 pm
Get in touch with Clearofcloud.ie - he's on here too, in Galway, I believe
 #9400  by Nige
 Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:10 pm
Nothing wrong with a Luscombe Neil. Just some good solid training and indeed, yer back to grass root flying once again! :wink: good luck chum..

Nige.
 #9417  by 02B
 Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:34 am
I'd like to weigh in as well. I soloed in my first Luscombe in Chicago in 1972. I paid $2,050 for it at that time and sold it three years later for $3,500 and thought I had made a killing. Through the years I had a couple of cross country aircraft I used for business travel, but I never got over N2593K. I always said my last aircraft would be another Luscombe and had the good fortune of finding a beautiful 8F with an 0-200, which is sorely needed at my home airport with a field elevation of 5,885 feet above sea level.

The thing I've found about the Luscombe is that it will go where you tell it to go with faster response than say a cub it a T craft. If you are light on the controls, it will reward you with outstanding handling, but if you try to over control the aircraft, it can and will bit you. It is a very honest airplane in every since of the word. It is known as a pilots airplane that will grab hold of you and never let you go.

Terry
Denver, Colorado
NC1902B
 #9418  by Nige
 Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:00 am
Indeed Terry.
A very versatile aircraft bearing in mind how old she is now. Don must be proud! Have fun! :)

Nige.
 #9421  by ClearOfCloud
 Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 am
Neil,

How's it going. We've actually met before - (RT course discussion at Atlantic Airventure)
Happy to give you my take and you're more than welcome to drop in to Craughwell for a hop.....when I get the permit sorted

Almost all of my tailwheel time is on the Luscombe including my initial tailwheel sign-off. Despite the hangar talk a Luscombe isn't any sort of tiger that needs taming. As far as I can ascertain, the rear is more responsive that something like a Cub so you really need to dance a little more on the rudder on landing and roll-out. I'm a low hour pilot (~250) ; consider myself to have only average "stick" skills and I can be a little slow learning motor skills. I started flying the Luscombe shortly after the PPL and I haven't found it all that difficult.

In the landing phase it absolutely requires your full attention until you roll to a stop but keeping it under control doesn't need anything more that average skills. In the air she's lovely.

Having flown with Nigel, he'll attest that I'm not underplaying my abilities. With the care due to all tail-wheel machines, the Luscombe is perfectly manageable as a first tail-wheel.

David
 #9426  by Nige
 Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am
Indeed it is! :wink:

Nige.
 #9435  by neilrankin
 Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:04 pm
A very fine aircraft Terry - one of the best I have seen
I am convinced without doubt - thanks for all the advice

Unfortunately with all my procrastinating the aircraft I was interested has been sold

Thanks David for the kind offer ... might take you up on that later in the year
 #9436  by ClearOfCloud
 Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:18 am
Do Neil !! You must come up to the 'field here. We consider ourselves a home for tailwheels but we regularly have less fortunate types fly in like 172s even the rare Cherokee 6 & Cirrus.

David
 #9437  by Keith Old
 Tue May 02, 2017 11:05 am
Is that a queue of aircraft waiting at the end for take-off I see..... ?