The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Weight and Balance calcs

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9385  by HTB
 Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 pm
Hi,

Elsewhere on the site there are links to weight and balance spreadsheets, but the links all seem to be broken now as they were posted some time ago.

Does anyone have an uptodate Weight and Balance sheet they can post or can be added to the technical downloads section?

Thanks,

Harry
 #9388  by Nige
 Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:44 am
Hi Harry.
Mike Folwer, who's worlds class beating Luscombe is now very close to flying (yes - really!?!) after many many frustrating years, is now in the process of self weighing his own plane could well have an answer for you. I'll have a look at Brug's paperwork also, although it was done many years ago. I'll suggest he makes an appearance here on this thread. Hope he can help or at the very least swap phone no's. Pete Bush may have an answer too.
You may contact 'Plane Weighs' who advertise in FLYER as they also may be able to help. Be prepared for a fairly forward centre of gravity if yours is an E or F. Don't panic, quite normal..
Can you expand on what you're up to by the way - just intrigued.. :wink:

Nige.
 #9389  by HTB
 Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 am
Nige,

Getting up the Luscombe 'technical ladder' and laying some groundwork for a project. On a more basic level need to be able to populate and plan within SkyDemon but don't have any data to generate an aircraft for flight planning purposes.

Hope to be able to say more about the project in a few weeks.

Harry
 #9390  by PeterB
 Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm
I have no idea how to post on this site, but if you let me have some contact details, I can let you have an Excel spreadsheet that has everything you need.

And it's very simple if not entirely obvious to put the data into SkyDemon.

Also, I have suitable scales to weigh Luscombes.
 #9397  by Nige
 Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:47 pm
Harry,
Hopefully, you and Mike have now chatted at length? Can you tell the site (for Pete Bentle's sake also) how you got on? Thanks.

Nige.
 #9404  by HTB
 Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:45 pm
Nige, Peter B was very helpful and gave me some good pointers and advice. He's also got me thinking heavily about how to cut weight back, so I guess the pizza is off the menu this evening...

I've got some work to do on W&B - looking hard at a digital AI and the latest offerings from Dittel (TQ I think now) for Transceiver and Transponder which seem lighter than the FUNKE I have in my Gyro. I'm some way off having a summary weight.

I'd like to try and get an aircraft 'model' that people are using in SkyDemon to do their planning if anyone has one.

Harry
Last edited by HTB on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #9414  by PeterB
 Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:40 pm
I have a comprehensive W&B schedule in Excel format for Luscombes if anyone wants one. I also have calibrated scales if anyone needs to weigh one...

In case anyone is interested, I'm on a longterm strategic mission to get weight out of my Luscombe. More than 20Kg has gone so far and I have a plan to get rid of another 10-15Kg this summer.

Dynamo - Alternator
Lead-acid battery - LiFePo
Battery box out (not needed with new battery).
Metal prop - wooden prop

Old radios, old transponder, VOR, old wiring, venturi, redundant antennas and very heavy upholstery / seats are next.

If I'm feeling really keen, I'll make some new lightweight wheel-fairings.

The simplest solution for most of us is personal weight loss and when you add that in as well, I've given myself a lot more payload.
 #9415  by HTB
 Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:36 pm
PeterB wrote:If I'm feeling really keen, I'll make some new lightweight wheel-fairings.

Peter, your sheet is excellent....

Interestingly I picked a spat up off Owen today and was going to see if I could get a few sets of Carbon Fibre spats made up by the chaps who I've used to work on (err... normally repair!) my motorcycle fairings, if it was cost effective to do so. You might have some better contacts.... anyway, will report back if they think they can help.

Harry