The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Are you going night flying?

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9364  by ClearOfCloud
 Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:18 pm
Given the new LAA rules allowing Night / IMC flight in permit aircraft is anyone thinking of going down that route with their Luscombe?

I'm neither equipped or rated for night / imc operations but I'm curious to know if anyone has considered it.

David
 #9365  by Phil Laycock
 Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:15 pm
Reminds me of a quote that I've seen.............

" Only Fools and Birds Fly..........
Only Owls and Bloody Fools fly at Night ! " :lol:

That said I have flown a SEP at night a few times , PA-28 and DA-40 with an instructor and have really enjoyed the experience.....less traffic, less turbulence and visibility seemed greater although we did fly into unseen cloud at times resulting in a quick reversion to instrument flying and a rate one turn of 180 degrees .

I think if I had something like a RV7 or 9 then I would certainly consider it.
 #9366  by ClearOfCloud
 Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:50 pm
Good quote.

With the fantastic winter nights we've been having here and the desire for some more training I was planning to get the night rating once I've done some more upside-downy stuff.. Can't see myself going to the effort of equipping 'EH but I thought maybe others would (or are already) .

I believe there's a good bit of video on youtube of night Luscombe-ing.
 #9367  by Robert Lees
 Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 pm
ClearOfCloud wrote:Given the new LAA rules allowing Night / IMC flight in permit aircraft is anyone thinking of going down that route with their Luscombe?

I'm neither equipped or rated for night / imc operations but I'm curious to know if anyone has considered it.

David

Expect more cost than the value of your Luscombe to equip it to the required avionics standard. If you want to fly night and/or IFR, it's cheaper to buy a Pa28 or equivalent!

Rob
 #9369  by Steve Martin
 Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:37 am
In the 1950's some Luscombes in the USA were equipped to fly "on instruments" and had the "beam" system installed. G-EITE certainly did, but the W & B schedule after installation was very close to max weight.
 #9370  by ClearOfCloud
 Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:35 am
Even now Steve I suspect it would be easy to over-equip from a weight perspective.......pilot included LOL.

This guy posts a lot of luscombe videos.....not a massive fan but this is why I was wondering if anyone was going to launch into the black yonder
https://youtu.be/2xNZEiUfw-k?t=6m36s
 #9375  by Nige
 Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:43 pm
If agree with Rob.
Just a romantic idea for the Luscombe I'm afraid. Have a look at the requirements in FLYER/CAA etc - sadly the cost would be prohibitive. Shame really...

Nige.