The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• A BOAC - Luscombe link

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9321  by Keith Old
 Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:46 pm
Just a piece of historical chat.
As one of the few people left in British Airways that joined when we were still BOAC ( ! ) , I see that BA starts up direct services to Oakland , CA next summer . In our company magazine there was an article that the location of the announcement for the new
route was on the Solent Flying Boat "City of Cardiff" - a formerly with BOAC in 1947 , at the Oakland Aviation Museum .
Whilst looking the Museum web site ( http://www.oaklandaviationmusuem.org) I was more than interested to see that also on display is one of Don Luscombe's earlier efforts - a Monocoupe 110 NC18629
I wonder if any CLA readers here are aware ?

Monocoupe 110 - NC18629
•In the mid-1920s a young advertising man named Don Luscombe flew his open cockpit JN-4D "Jenny" out of a small airstrip in Davenport, Iowa. He thought, “How nice it would be if I could fly in a small enclosed-cabin airplane and arrive at my destination dressed in a business suit." ...And the Monocoupe was born

Keith Old GBSSA
 #9323  by Nige
 Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:50 am
Fascinating Keith!
What a guy Don was - he always had a restless ambition.. Thanks for the info and I guess I wouldn't be entitled to 'enjoy' the same flight discount as your long service quite rightly enjoys! :wink: I really need to go visit the USA flying scene before I get too old!! :shock:

Nige.