The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Intro

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9276  by 02B
 Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:34 am
Hello to all,

I am a new member from Denver, Colorado. I currently own a 1948 Luscombe 8F (N1902B) and I had a 8A in the early '70's in which I learned to fly and a couple of cross-country aircraft in between. 02B has less than 1000 TT, has a 0-200A (which I find useful when my base altitude is 5,885 feet) and has recently become ADS-B compliant. I posted a picture in the general gallery.

Thank you for allowing us stateside to participate in such a great forum for those with a love of all things Luscombe. I wish I could attend your fly-ins!

Terry
 #9277  by Florian
 Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:28 am
Hi Terry,

at least from my side, welcome to the community. I am from Germany but own and operate a US-registered Luscombe, too. even for me it is hard to attend any fly-in in Britain since it means at least a week away from home for me.

But if you got ADS-B compliant, tell me which Transponder did you fit in? I have no transponder at all but want to get one. On one hand if I want to have Mode S 1090ES for the European system and on the other hand it can't hurt to meet the FAA 2020 mandate...

Florian
 #9278  by 02B
 Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:44 pm
Hi Florian,

I went with the Navworx 600B because I already had a KT 76A with a Altitude encoder for Mode C and Navworx has a Transmon that will "sniff" the altitude through the UAT coax. Had I been starting from scratch with no transponder at all, I would go with an "all-in-one" unit from either Stratus or Garmin. I think either can be purchased for under $5k (US) with install costs on top of course. I was just over $4k with my unit and the install and missed the $500 rebate by two weeks.

I am based at one of the busiest general aviation airports in the US, Centennial (KAPA) and we operate under the veil of (inside) the Class B for Denver International. In such a congested airspace, having traffic in the cockpit has changed my world. I use Ifly GPS (compatible with Navworx) for ADS-B In on my phone which I mount at the top of the panel.

Terry
 #9279  by Florian
 Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:25 pm
Thanks for that info! I am looking forward if Dittel gets it's KTX2 FAA approved. This unit is just 2.5k as has everything I need. In terms of traffic display I must rely on airplanes euqipping with ADS-B out which optional for VFR in Europe because we don't have these fancy transmission stations like the FAA. Oh man, I miss America! :salut:
 #9280  by 02B
 Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:48 pm
As far as the cost of the Navworx goes, all of the hardware was around $2,300 (US) which included the options of Transmon, the GPS antenna, the wireless module (which will output up to five devices for ADS-B In) and the additional UAT antenna. I spent close to $2,000 for the install which should come down as the avionics shops gain more experience with the various devices.

Terry
 #9282  by 02B
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:29 am
Wow, this is a tough crowd. Three days and 40 views of my introduction to this community and only one welcome (thanks Florian). And I've heard such great things about European hospitality, haha.
 #9287  by Nige
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:13 am
Morning Terry, welcome on board! Only just spotted your kind words and be free to use our site as often as you wish. I hope we can provide answers and entertainment for you here! A very interesting thread from yourself and yes, we wish you could join in our community physically too!
We are not as active on the site as we used to be and our our large tours are no longer in existence but we are still a keen bunch with an answer for most questions!
Great photo and look forward to hearing more from you! :lol:

Nige Barratt. G-BRUG,( moderator.)
 #9288  by Phil Laycock
 Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:49 pm
Welcome Terry

A fine looking Luscombe you have there. Nice dry atmosphere....helps keep the metal shiny !

You live in a very interesting part of the world.......the mile high city . Have traveled through Denver several times in the past, on the way to Dillon for the ski-ing
 #9289  by 02B
 Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:24 am
Thanks Phil,

Yes, Denver is a great place to call home. If you or any of European Luscombe contingent ever find themselves here, I would love to take them up in Ruby. I am taking her out to Blakesburg on Sept 1st through the 4th and it will be the first time for O2B to be there. For those that have never heard of the gathering, information can be found at http://www.antiqueairfield.com/. In 2013 they were featuring the Luscombe and I think had over 50 of them on the field. Let me know if I can ever help from this side.

Terry
 #9294  by Keith Old
 Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:59 am
A bit of a distance from Denver , but I am planning my 3rd visit to Columbia next May ( I have managed to convince my wife that we just happen to be passing by on the back of a San Francisco - Yosemite loop ) , so look forward to seeing some faces from a while back . Fond memories of dear old Mike Culver.
Keith / GBSSA
 #9296  by AndyClarke
 Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:00 am
Chris who co-owns G-AGMI has a house in Colorado and goes through Denver regularly -I'll tell him.
 #9298  by Barry
 Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:49 pm
Terry, what did you end up going with on your ADS-B. I have a '48 8F, N1458B c-90 and regularly fly in Charlie space. I'm hoping low cost solutions come out more frequently as the deadline approaches.

Thanks, and very helpful group here!
 #9299  by 02B
 Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:46 am
Hi Barry,

I went with the NavWorx 600B. Give me a call to discuss at 303 475-7737.