The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• G-BRUG and other's 70th!

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9043  by Nige
 Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:02 am
Hi all.
I've been chatting to some of you behind the scenes regarding celebrating my Luscombe, BRUG's 70th Birthday in 2016. Bet Don never expected to see so many make it this far in the UK! :shock: a credit to him for his foresight and his brilliant engineering team.
So, I'm proposing a gathering of Birthday 'beauties' and also nearly 70 and past 70 year old Luscombes to meet for beer and overnight at Goodwood. A fly away to Sandown to eat in it's new restaurant if open is planned. (Will head out there anyway as a photo shoot is planned also) No date yet but I'd like to hear owners thoughts? BRUG and myself WILL myself will be celebrating next year anyway of course!
A trip to the Channel Isles is also planned and I have had strong interest in that too. Let me know if anyone would like to spend a long weekend, Friday to Mon, over there staying over in Guernsey and Alderney. The fuel is cheap! :) maximum of 5 a/c Luscombes or other types are welcome. The camp site is very cheap and has excellent washing/showering facilities and and cute breakfast cafe/shop by the way. Steph and myself have had many a cheeky bacon butty and cuppa there over the years! :shock:
You can see I'm retired now! :wink:

Nige. Ps, I'll try to move this across to 'Events' later, if I can remember how! Mike?
 #9045  by Keith Old
 Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:56 am
Sounds a jolly good idea Nige . Let us know dates when known
SA did not have a particular active summer .. where does the time go.. so it would be nice to have some events to look forward to next Summer.
For the first time in some 20 years , I have managed to get hangar space at White Waltham for the winter. Last winter was a bit harsh on the old girl so this should allow us to keep on top of paintwork and maintenance - and maybe even do a bit of flying rather than scraping ice off.
best regards all
 #9046  by Florian
 Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:44 am
Thats a great idea! My N1990B will become 70 next year as well. Let me see a date and have a look into my training schedule for my CFI. If I find the time I will be happy to come over to the UK since I wanted to do such a trip anyway in the next few years.

By the way, I not as familiar with British locations as most others in here might be. I assume Goodwood you mentioned is EGHR Chichester east of Southhampton? If so I wanted to stop in this area on my Round-Britain-Trip anyway.

Florian
 #9047  by Nige
 Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:06 pm
Keith, Florian et all,
Yep, we have had a good start and it seems a good reason for a Luscombe knees up to boot! :cheers2:
No doubt the date I pick will not appeal to everyone so now's the time, over the next few weeks, to speak up and let me know dates the majority CAN't make it please.
Florian, indeed, Goodwood is under 'Chichester Goodwood of course. Be lovely to see a friendly 'foreign' Luscombe or two also!
Please keep the level of interest up and the dates you are unable to make it, coming in. Ta. :salut:

Nige.
 #9050  by Florian
 Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:08 am
At the moment I can't really say go or no go because I am right in the process of converting my US pilot certificate into a european one. Since I don't know how much time the german agencies will need to perform this task (renewal of licences can take 2 or 3 month :oops:) I don't have a time line for my CFI training yet. But in gerneral I do have a long shut down at work in the summer July 4th to 22nd. I would be a good time for some vacation.

And by the way since we are only three Luscombs in Germany you won't get too many of us. But I now at least one other owner (quite close to me) so I might forward that to him...

Florian
 #9051  by Nige
 Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:45 am
As always, it will never be easy to choose the right date...
Good luck with the training and conversion Florian. I train/convert pilots onto tailwheel and other types, many on Luscombes and with the changing of license it takes no more than 3 weeks providing they drive to our CAA at Gatwick and we've had suitable weather! :shock: :sunny: I wish I could help.

Nige.
 #9052  by Florian
 Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:36 am
Even going a bit offtopic by now, you can help. Make what is know as "Germany" by today called "UK" by tomorrow and eliminate all stupid agencies over here! :bom:

I am trying to get a European pilot certificate for over a year now. But until a couple of weeks ago German authorities interpreted EU 1178/2011 regulation as 200h PIC time for a private pilote conversion and the task layed with the federal CAA (Luftfahrt Bundesamt, LBA). Now only 100h TOTAL are required anymore and the application will be processed by the state department of road construction and traffic (Niedersächsische Landesbehörde für Starßenbau und Verkehr) which is doing the licensing stuff for all "German" pilots as well. Does it makes sense for you?

Even more, if I am holder of a "German" pilot certificate I am asked to volunteer for a terrorist background check. If I don't, they would reject or even never issue my license. You see absolutely voluntarily! Actually they can't force me anymore since we chased the judes prior to WW2. So we now have an article in our constitution that prohibits chasing of a group of people because of a common feature (earlier it was a spcific religion, today it would be a german pilot certificate). But better, as long as I fly with my US certificate this rule does not apply to me like to anyone else from the planet including pilots with a UK certificate or, for example, from Syria or Iraq. :scratch:

One more, if one holds a radio operators permit issued by the federal german networking agency for electricity, gas, telecommunication, mail and railways (Bundesnetzagentur für Elektrizität, Gas, Telekommunikation, Post und Eisenbahnen) is is valid life long. If you are approuved to talk english, you have to participate in a language skill test testing small talk conversations. If you fail or don't attend, your life long valid radio operators permit becomes invalid. At least if you are a German citizen you can state that German is you native language and you will be freed of that test for radio operation in the German language.

Well, I think I made my point clear enough about what's going on here. All the time I am looking back to the US and thinking about how easy it is to just fly around there. :mad3: Lets see how much governmental pain the CFI training will bring.

Florian
 #9059  by Nige
 Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:55 pm
Blimey Florian!
I will never utter another frustrated word against the 'English/EASA'(!?!?) system! How confusing it is for you out there in Germany! What, with EASA confusing the issue in some places along with your own country's rules, this must be most frustrating for you. :shock:
Terrorism is changing all our lives, sometimes in the most 'subtle' of ways sometimes... I hope you make progress Florian.

Nige.
 #9063  by Florian
 Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:29 pm
Let's see... But guess why my Luscombe has an american registration. No terrorist check, no germaned-EASA.... Just hop in and off you go...
 #9103  by Florian
 Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:54 pm
Hey Nige,

what's about a date? With my CFI it will take some more time to start with because our lovly german agencies digged their hole much deeper. After passing my written test I am now invited for a practical exam but their is no definite rule on which airplane to fly it. Technically I am not allowed to fly german planes because I am neither a student nor a license holder. So I offered the examiner to use my Luscombe but he refused because of his own limited tailwhell experiance. So now I need to find a way to legally fly our clubs C150 for that exam. And hopefully I can do a couple iof rounds with an instructor before. I mean I haven't flown tri-cycle gear, flaps, mixtrue and so on in over two years. Since I got my licens in late 2013 I only flew my Luscombe. by the way it a good airplane.

But back to the topic. Since my CFI is in a holding pattern right now I probably will have time during our summer shutdown in July to come over to the UK. Maybe I can combine it with Duxford on July 9th and 10th.

Do you have a max size for the event? Maybe some people from our club like to join me on the trip. There would be a Robin DR400 and some Kibitz ultra light biplanes. There are about 10 Kibitz going to Duxford as formation and they consider stoping byat Goodwood.

Florian
 #9105  by Florian
 Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:58 am
I would really like to meet you all, too. But in the en it depends on when Nigel lets of the party.
 #9115  by Nige
 Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:31 am
Florian et all.
No date set as yet and sorry for a slow reply.
The venue will be SYWELL or Goodwood. I'm erring towards SYWELL slightly as it has excellent overnight facilities with the hotel within wobbling distance from the bar and geographically well placed in England centrally. However Goodwood has a lot going on too and Mark, Airfield manager, is keen to have us but it means ferrying us to the nearby B n B's. I will talk to Mark to see what can be arranged.
The plan is to fly out to Sackville farm, if lunch can be laid on, (SYWELL) or the to the new restaurant at Sandown, Isle of Wight, (Goodwood venue) on the Sunday of the weekend event. Trying to find out if the restaurant is likely to be up and running by mid Summer. Likely months are June, July and August as usual.
Will have a date shortly.. :)

Nige.
 #9119  by pilotmark
 Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 pm
Hi all,

Been ages since I've been on here, but I got my PPL 18 months ago and had an immediate checkout on G-AKTI. TI is also 70 this year, so an outing such as this sounds fitting! Especially since there are 3 Luscombes in Ireland now, myself and my dad, David of course and now G-CHJZ in Birr. Perhaps they'd be willing to form a convoy to head across? Late June and most of August would suit me well. Of course its quite wx dependent! But, we gotta celebrate the old girls birthday!

Mark Chambers -Northern Ireland G-AKTI
 #9120  by Nige
 Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:26 am
Well done Mark!
No date set yet but what ever date I go for I won't please Eveyone! :?

Nige.