The UK hub for Luscombe Aircraft across Europe 

• Touring around South East next week.

• Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions
Miscellaneous Luscombe Discussions

Moderator: HTB

#9007  by ClearOfCloud
 Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:00 pm
Just thought I'd let you know that if the wx plays ball next week, I'm hoping to be around the South-east with AEH for a couple days. Aiming to get to Goodwood in one day, maybe research a rating while there, and saunter my way back home, probably via Compton. I'm in no rush back so if anyone's around for a cuppa....

Keep an ear out for some lilting Irish R/T work :-)

David
 #9009  by ClearOfCloud
 Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:25 pm
Haverfordwest was on my list but I think I maybe be scrubbing this sortie. :cry:

Some lovely fronts over Ireland tomorrow and while I could probably make it over safely, I don't really like being "pushed" in a direction by weather.

Think this may have to be one for spring summer 2016 :-(

(Update....though Friday to Saturday may work)

David
 #9010  by Phil Laycock
 Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:54 am
Hi David
Might be around Friday and drop in at Goodwood ( an excuse to warm the oil prior to 50hr chi !)
Don't forget it's free landings for pre '66 aircraft there :cheers:
This is subject to usual wx etc and also small matter of getting back to Blighty myself...... Currently working in St Lucia 8-)
 #9011  by ClearOfCloud
 Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:16 pm
St. Lucia ....tough at the top eh?

Currently hoping to get to Goodwood around lunchtime, early afternoon - tyrekick the Boultbee Spitfire and head on to Compton for fhat evening.

Is that pre-66 offer all of the time. I though they only did that occasionally?

David
 #9012  by Phil Laycock
 Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:05 pm
Hi David

Yes the free landings is all the time.
Goodwood is a lovely place to visit anyway but the free landings iis always welcome.... Pity Shoreham don't do anything similar :mad3:

Wx looking ok for Friday

Working in 31 dog heat is no fun ! But afterwards the beer is nice and cold :drink1:
 #9015  by ClearOfCloud
 Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:08 pm
Thanks a million for the welcoming committee Phil!!! It was lovely to see you again and to meet G-LUSK. Turned out to be a great couple of days. Got to Compton safely after I left you; caught up with Harriet that evening and Vicky the following morning. That was the busiest day's flying I ever had - 5 hours 10 and 420nm.

Left Compton for Haverfordwest a little later than planned- poor Pete Bush has never seen me arrive in EGFE on time. Made it home to Galway in one hop in just under 2 hours - 6500 all the way home; gorgeous!! AEH performed flawlessly all the way. Such a lovely machine

Next year I definitely have to try to get more time to do a proper catch up with everyone
 #9016  by Phil Laycock
 Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:11 am
Great to see you and the lovely EI-AEH .Glad to hear you had an equally good flight home ...................you will have to come for longer next time :salut:
 #9096  by ClearOfCloud
 Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm
Postscript - Touring Award.

So my little whistle-stop tour of the SE won a the 2015 ILAS Touring Award for me and 'EH ....

ILAS is the Irish LAA and each year they invite pilots to submit their trip reports for the year. So as is my wont when I comes to writing, I submitted a hastily written report right on the deadline. So hasty was it, I only had time to write about the outbound day. Despite the hasty and abbreviated essay and failing in my trip goal to get up close and personal with the Boultbee Spitfire my trip was selected as the winner. Considering previous winners made it to central Europe and South Africa I'm very chuffed. Incidentally, it's also the first time it's been given to a classic / vintage type.

So thank you to all my "ground support" that weekend. I doubt I'd have made the trip were it not for the the friends I'd made through the European Luscombes !! Maybe next year I'll get the "bounce" on that Spitfire.

David
 #9114  by Nige
 Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:19 am
David,
Well done to you! Sorry for late reply, I'm not as active as I used to be on the website, although the BRUG is well.
A brilliant achievement and keep up the enthusiasm! Perhaps there will be an opprtunity for some of you to meet up and celebrate Brug's 70th Birthday this Summer with me?
Keep flying safe and enjoy that lovely Luscombe of yours.. :sunny:

Nige.
 #9117  by ClearOfCloud
 Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:24 am
Thanks Nige;

I've quite a bit on cards for this summer flying-wise; between training and trips but I'll certainly keep and eye on the schedule for BRUGs birthday. I'm sure AEH would like to see her younger sibling again.

David